Chamberlain boots Pumas into touch

Boeta Chamberlain scored all the points for the Cell C Sharks in their 24-10 (halftime 12-10) Carling Currie Cup victory over the Airlink Pumas at the Mbombela Stadium in Mbombela on Friday evening.

The Sharks flyhalf landed eight penalties, four in each half, gifted through the dominance of the Sharks forwards pack while the Pumas scored the only try of the game through flanker Anele Lungisa with flyhalf Tinus de Beer landing a conversion and a penalty of his own.

The home side looked the more enterprising with ball in hand but handling errors prevented them from really flowing freely while the Sharks pack absolutely decimated the hosts at scrum time.

The opening 20 minutes saw the Sharks take an early nine-point lead with Chamberlain landing three penalties but it was the home side who looked full of running. The Sharks used their forwards to good effect, although they were unable to get their roiling maul going until the second half.

Heading into the final 10 minutes of the first stanza, Chamberlain extended the Sharks lead to 12 points with his fourth shot at goal after the Pumas had been penalised for a no-arms tackle. This was shortly after De Beer had missed his first pot at goal.

But moments later and the visitors were reduced to 14 men when centre Murray Koster was sent to the sin-bin for a head-head tackle. The Pumas used their numerical advantage and produced on of the best tries of the season so far.

Centre Eddie Fouche, on his own tryline, chipped the Sharks defence, collected and sprinted down the field with the Pumas moving the ball through multiple hands. The Sharks thought they had halted the attack five metres from their own line but the hosts recycled the ball and Lungisa went over in the right-hand corner with De Beer landing a difficult conversion to bring the Pumas to within two points at the break.

But that would be the last time the home side troubled the scorers as the Sharks increased their dominance over the Pumas scrum, winning numerous penalties and getting their rolling maul going but their finishing let them down time and time again with only the boot of the young Sharks flyhalf keeping the coastal side’s noses in front.

The Pumas were penalised at the ruck on numerous occasions as they tried to stem the tide of the Sharks forwards but Chamberlain was dead-eye-dick with the boot, landing four more penalties in the second stanza to keep the Sharks unbeaten after four matches and top of the log while the Pumas languish second-from-bottom on five points from five starts.

Author: Brendon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *